28 February 2018

Never 'NO' Again

Never 'NO' Again
 
After today, Monday February 5th 2018, I will have to check 'YES' when asked if I have ever had surgery or other medical procedures. 
 
Here I am, with my awesome wife, who will take care of me for the next few days while I am couch-ridden until I am able to move around on crutches.  We check in and am taken back to the pre-op area.  I meet Dr. C, my pre-op nurse, the CRNA and the process begins. 
 
I am anxious, and hungry!  Dr. C writes her initials on my left foot, and am asked for the 756th time my full name, date of birth and what I am having done.  And...
 
1.  No, I have no allergies.
2.  No, I have had nothing to eat since 6pm yesterday.
3.  No, I don't have diabetes.
4.  No, I don't have a fever (didn't the thermometer tell you that four minutes ago?)
5.  No, I don't have any open cuts on my foot (didn't you just examine my foot two minutes ago?)
6.  No, I don't consume any tobacco products.
7.  No, I have not consumed alcohol, If it would help, this is what you could get me downstairs...
8.  My full name? Again?
9.  My full date of birth?  Again?
10.  What am I having done today? Again?
 
Most of this is in jest.  I have worked in hospitals for years, and wrong-site surgery and near-misses are a real thing.  It can be frustrating for those who have never been part of an investigation of these issues.  I have, and they are not fun, especially for the patient. 
 
 
Anxious
 
So, my nurse shaved my foot, and got out the multiple drips and IVs.  She was very good at her job and helped allay much of my nervousness.  I wasn't nervous, but just couldn't relax.  They let my wife, R, come back for a few minutes.  I did have to take off my clothes, except I could keep my underwear on, but everything else had to go.  I asked if I could keep my Fitbit watch on as I was curious to see the various metrics, but was told no.  Oh well.
 
So I put on the compression stocking on my good leg, the CRNA came in did an ultrasound so she could mark where she would inject the nerve blocks.  She said there would be three: at the ankle, behind the knee and somewhere on my thigh.  As the nurse got the IV started, I was feeling a little more comfortable. 
 
So far so good.  I watched my nurse hang a couple of bags of IV solutions, and I continued to watch the monitor hoping to help my blood pressure come down. It started at 134/92, which is very high for me.  As I relaxed and breathed more regularly, I was able to get it down to 122/82.  Much better.
 
The nurse covered me up with a blanket and checked the IV bags again.  She took one bag and hooked it up to my IV.  The CRNA and the assistant got out the various nerve block needles and continued to verify the locations with the ultrasound. 
 
Then I asked the CRNA, forgetting that she had just told me, "How many nerve blocks do you do for this..."
 
I never finished the question...
 



No comments: