28 February 2018

Feeling Good!

Feeling Good!

Of course I was feeling good.  I couldn't feel anything below my knee, couldn't see my foot, and was able to relax on the couch.  The only problem was the impending pain that would come in 12-18 hours when the nerve-block would wear off.  That would occur sometime around 3am Tuesday morning.

The Percocet would be helpful to get me past the initial few days of pain as the block wears off. 

My view for the next few days, a lot of Ice on the foot!
 
 
I would be bed-ridden for the next few days.  Once the blocks wear off, then I would be able to feel where my leg was.  I was very afraid during this time that I would hit my foot and toe using the restroom or moving about a little.  There was blood/drainage from the incisions, and all I could think about was that I had hit my toe and either tore open the incision, broke the screw, re-broke the toe, or something worse. 
 
Not Remembering
 
After the surgery when I was still 'out', R talked with the surgeon.  Dr. C told her a few things:
 
1.  During the surgery, she found the culprit of my ongoing pain that was hiding in the CT and X-Ray. Two bone fragments were dislodged and had moved into the joint.  This was causing my chronic pain.  She decided to remove these fragments and not plate or screw them back into place.
 
2.  Dr. C had to cut the Extensor Hallucis Longus Tendon.  This tendon attaches along the metatarsal and phalanges of the top of the foot and big toe.  It is what allows us to dorsal-flex our foot upwards.  This was one of those "potential problems" we talked about during the pre-op appointment.  The tendon was strained and out of alignment because of the fracture, and she was not able to move it out of the way in order to get to the joint.  So, she had to cut the tendon above the joint.  
 
 
 
The Tendon that had to be cut at the IPJ of the Big Toe
 
 
So, if the only serious problem is having the tendon cut, not so bad.  It only means a little longer to fully regain the flexibility of the foot and toe.  I'll have a bump on the top of my toe where the tendon was reattached to the metatarsal, and a little shorter in length.  Hopefully, I can slowly stretch out the tendon to the original length over time.
 
I suppose I won't miss those two fragments.  Dr. C said since the joint if fused, you don't need them anyway!
 


Here Comes the Pain
D+0 and D+1
 
I took my first pain med before heading off to bed.  Well, I really didn't 'head off' anywhere.  I stayed where I was, on the bed.  I only got up to use the rest room and wash up a little.
 
As a side-sleeper, I knew sleeping on my back was going to be the most difficult part of this.  However, when I took my first Percocet at 10pm, that was no longer a problem!  Until about 4am, just like clockwork.  I could feel the meds wearing off, along with the nerve block.  When I attempted to get out of bed and take another dose, gravity took over.  I didn't fall, but when I swung my legs off the bed to crutch to the bathroom- I quickly discovered the pain and blood rushing to my foot. 
 
So, I put my foot back up above my head and tried it again slowly...
 
It still hurt, but was bearable.  I was able to use the restroom and take another dose.  I set my alarm for every four hours to take the meds.  I kept the meds at my bedside for future use!
 
 


D+2
 

Getting Ready for Bed
 
 
I got into a routine of slowly ambulating around on crutches and sitting on the couch rather than in bed.  I managed to take a bath on the second day post-op (D+2).  Actually, not a bath, but sitting on the side of the tub and wash up and feel normal. 
 
 
D+3
I began working on my 'assignments' on Thursday.  The Winter Olympics were starting today, so good timing for me!  I had some items I wanted to get done since I would be home for 3-4 weeks. 
 
1.  Do our 2017 Taxes
2.  Go through all our photos and put them together in albums. Nothing fancy, just go through and organize.
3.  Blog- this one.  About my experience.  Not like most of what I read with other people's experience. I'm not blogging about 'Embrace your Pain', 'Accept your Circumstance', 'Acknowledge your Discomfort', and 'Mindfulness and Mending'.  Ugh.  Spare me that stuff.  I broke a bone, it hurts, doctor fixed the bone, hurts more.  Move on.
4.  Read.  "Medical Response at the Pentagon on 9/11", "Echoes of Glory:  Battle Sites in Texas", "Reformation Guide to Scripture", and several professional journals.
5.  Pod Casts:  Catch Up!  Civil War Podcast, Wretch Radio, Al Mohler, Truth for Life, and Freakanomics.
6.  Watch the Winter Olympics.  Live.  Why not?  I'm up at 4AM taking my meds anyway!
7.  Create a large 'Coffee Table Book' that contains various pieces of artwork of my Mother-In-Law.  This is part of a larger gift to her and my Father-In-Law for their 50th Wedding Anniversary.
 
MEDs

OK, time for a break and take my pain meds!
 
 


No comments: