28 February 2018

Military Medicine Firsthand Experience

The First Surgical Consult
 
 
On Thursday, November 17, I had my first appointment with the Orthopedic Surgeon at Brook Army Medical Center.  Working at the Army Medical Command for the past two years, I am aware of the significant changes coming in Military Medicine.  Purple Medicine is coming.  My initial surgical consult with an Air Force LTC.  He explained the procedure in gruesome detail!  It was what I expected.  He wanted to wait and try a steroid injection first to continue to reduce the swelling and get an updated CT. 
 
He also recommended I have a second opinion because of the "permanent solution" to my pain.  Fusing the joint is a serious decision, especially with the big toe and the secondary effects of weight-bearing activities and compensation of the other joints. 
 
Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas
 
Second Surgical Consult-CT-Steroid Injection

 
My second opinion was scheduled for Tuesday, December 19th at Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center (WHASC).  At Lackland AFB, this is the primary health care facility for Lackland AFB and beneficiaries on the west and south sides of San Antonio.  In the 1990s, Congress mandated that acute care services at WHASC be moved to BAMC.  With this, routine and outpatient services moved to WHASC. 
 
I had my CT and XRAYs completed at BAMC prior to my appointment at WHASC.  My appointment was with an Army Podiatric Surgeon.  So, I saw an Air Force Surgeon at the Army Hospital, and an Army Surgeon at the Air Force Hospital.  Interesting.  What takes the cake is the providers at either facility cannot access radiology reports from the other facility.  Talking to a colleague at the Defense Health Agency (DHA), Purple Medicine, said this is due to old contracts that are still in force that have proprietary aspects. 
 
So, at WHASC, my surgeon, (I will call her SJ), fortunately was able to get a CT that morning and could see the exact issues.  The only problem is I had to hang out for a couple hours.  She also said she did want to try a steroid injection.  I said I have one schedule for January 5th at BAMC.  She said, "Let's do it now!".  OK...
 
I will say when she and the assistant manipulated my toe (and the broken joint), it was not a pleasant experience.  

Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center
 
So, my toe and foot hurt for several hours afterward, with the hope that the effects of the injection would take hold and reduce the swelling and pain.  I would find out on January 9th if any progress was made.


No comments: