28 February 2018

And Then I Woke Up

And Then I Woke Up


"I can't feel anything below my knee."  That was my first comment when I woke up, according to R. 
Something else I think I said was "When are we going to get the surgery started?"  And the my nurse said something like, "It's over, you are in recovery.  Your wife will be able to come back in a few minutes."

Actually, the only thing I clearly remember is waking up at home a few hours later.  Anesthesia is a wonderful addition to the world of medicine.  I woke up to my foot and ankle bandaged and not feeling anything.  It wasn't long before I was able to put on my clothes, very slowly.  I had no control over my right leg, so I had to carefully not bump or stand on it. 

When an infection outbreak happens, blame the staff and Central Sterile!
 
Fall Risk
 
 

One picture I did take before we left was of my 'good foot' where there was a 'Fall Risk' warning tag.  I certainly was.  This made me feel like one of my cardiac rehab patients back when I was working in the hospital.  I am used to placing this on geriatric patients, not being the recipient of one! 
 
Watch Out, Fall Risk!
 
 
Lunch
 
On the way home, R stopped at a Texas Favorite for lunch.  I hadn't eaten since before 6pm the night before, so it had been going on 24 hours since and I needed to get something in my stomach in order to take the potent pain medications.  Again, I don't really remember.  

 
 
 






No comments: