One of the nice things about Thanksgiving and having boys is teaching them what the Real Thanksgiving was all about- Not what they learn in School.
Six things that Pilgrims DID NOT do when they Landed on Plymouth Rock.
1. The Pilgrims did not bring disease and pestilence to the land...
2. The Pilgrims did not 'slash and burn' the land to plant their crops...
3. The Pilgrims did not destroy the herds of animals, leaving the Indians with nothing...
4. The Pilgrims did not name their mascot 'Redskin'... 5. The Pilgrims did not watch the Dallas Cowboys or Detriot Lions on Thanksgiving... 6. The Pilgrims did not invite the Indians to watch the Great Alaska Shootout (Basketball) 7. The Pilgrims did not argue with the Indians whether College Football should continue with the BCS or adopt a playoff system...
8. The Pilgrims did not give thanks to Moroni (Mormon), Allah, Buddha, Vishnu, a Goddess, L. Ron Hubbard (Scientology- Tom Cruise), Jim Jones (Kool-Aid anyone?), Mr. Applewhite (I forgot his first name!?), Jerry Fallwell, the Pope, Rick Warren (they already knew their Purpose!), the Trees (Druids), the Animals (Charles Darwin/Al Gore), or any other person/place/thing (Unitarian Universalists).
They thanked Almighty God.
The Pilgrims did bring with them their Christianity with them. Ironically, to many secular humanists, this was a far worse act to inflict on the Indians. How dare these people come and spread their message of intolerance and narrow-mindedness to these Native Americans!
We use this time to tell our family about the real Pilgrims, of Edward Winslow. Edward is a Great, Great, Great, Great, Great (you get the point) Grand Father, and his brother Gilbert.
Unfortunately my wife would not allow me to name our first born Edward, nor Gilbert. She has no appreciation for History. The History Channel puts her to sleep, and when I turn it on the War Channel- she pulls out her book and begins to read... I'm ashamed.
I love history, the Correct History. Not Revisionist History- that's for mush-brained governmental parasites who can't think for themselves. (Remember that 90%/5%/5% rule? They are a part of the 90%.
Below is what Edward Winslow said of the their situation after one year in the New World.
If you are one of these Secular Humanists, just replace 'God' in the last line with "...some nebulus male/female being that we all achieve to be in some other life..."
"Our harvest being gotten in, our Governor sent four men on fowling so that we might, after a special manner, rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much fowl as... served the company almost a week... Many of the Indians came amongst us and... their greatest King, Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted; and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought... And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God we are...far from want."
~ Edward Winslow, Plymouth, Massachusetts, December, 1621
Edward Winslow, the only Pilgrim to have a Portrait completed of himself. When the Pilgrims are briefly discussed in today's textbooks, if there is a picture it is usually of Edward.