04 July 2007

A Godly Woman

Psalm 31: 10-12, 25-31
10 An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels.
11 The hear of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain
12 She does him good and not evil all the days of her life.
25 Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future.
26 She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27 She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and bless her; her husband also, and he praises her, saying:
29 "Many daughters have done nobly, but you excel them all."
30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
31 Give her the product of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.
.
.
Over the past few weeks I have done a lot with the military (just ask my wife, and my boys...) and have encountered many who are one of the following:
1. Unhappily married (as if it were an arranged marriage!)
2. Happily divorced (some multiple times)
3. Going through a divorce (with and without children which is a tragedy)
4. The "I Just got married because I am about to go Iraq and want the extra money" group.
5. The "I just got married because I really love my girlfriend and were going to get married anyway so why not now" group.
6. The "I tolerate the old lady because it's too hard to train another one" group.
Then there is the group I am in, which I have found to be in the small minority. It is the one that many feminist groups would think holds women down in a subservient role. A role that is detrimental to the growth of young women, especially young mothers. We can't stop there, it's even worse in the World's view: how horrible it is to be a stay-at-home Mom.
.
Hmm...that's another post.
.
Anyone who thinks that because she stays at home with three children is not 'living up to her potential' as a liberated woman doesn't have a concept of what it means to be a Godly Woman. Of course what really matters is what God says through His Scripture as to what it really means to be a Woman.
.
She has raised two Godly boys who continue to amaze her as to their knowledge of the Bible their understanding of their place in God's plan for their lives. This is where I fall down as the spiritual leader of the home, and she has taken the lead in many ways. This is part of the reason I am writing this today.
.
She needs to work on her self-confidence! She often wonders if she is being a 'good mom'. The boys are the apple of her eye, or the 'femur of the dinosaur', or the 'eye-patch of the pirate' to make it applicable to each of them! From each of their teachers in school, to their Sunday School Teachers who continue to be amazed by their knowledge of the Bible, to strangers at the store who complement her on their behaviour.
.
They reflect the Godliness they see in her. She has, many times, been a single mom, because Dad has been gone probably three of the eight years since our oldest has been born.
I am continually amazed by what she had done over our wonderful almost 14 years of marriage.
.
Who would have thought that the quiet 'strange girl' I met 15 years ago (who had lived in the same house her entire life, except for college) would have stepped out of her comfort zone so many times I have lost count. She has joined churches on her own with two little boys while I was away. She has endured physical trials while I was gone and not able to be with her. Who would have pictured her as persevering and tough?
.
God does, as he has given her sufficient Grace, in His time, in His amount. She has weathered many of these things because of her desire for God. I continue to be amazed at her walk with the Lord. Daily she is in the Word, praying and seeking God's guidance for her and her family.
.
I love the Godly Woman I married. Her boys love their mother, and will seek a wife that has a heart for God like their mother. Her infant daughter will come to love her mother, and strive to be a Godly Woman like her mother.
Now, if I could get her to complete verse 16 "...she considers a field and buys it and plants a vineyard." Maybe when our littlest one is in kindergarten, she'll have some extra time...

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Now you've made me cry.

I love you, too.