12 December 2018

Good Bye Boot!

Good Bye Boot!

Finally.  After twelve weeks of Boot, Cast, Boot again, I can wear normal shoes again! 


 
 
It has been almost 16 months since my "incident". Since the end of July 2017:  This journey has been much longer than I anticipated.  The first surgery, February 5th, 2018, failed with the fusion screw started to separate and come out of the joint.  The second surgery, on September 20th, 2018, looks real good.

According to Dr. C, the new technique involved a little more work.  Three staples were placed over the fused joint.


 
 Also, the screw had to be removed.  Below is the picture prior to surgery showing the large gap between the distal and proximal phalanx.  Almost 1/8th of an inch, and it was getting worse along with pain. 
 
This procedure was far more painful all around.  It also included a solution of donor bone-marrow across the joint to enhance bone healing.  The staples on the top and sides of the toe are more painful as I can feel them under the skin.  Or it might just be in my mind!  Dr. C. said that the increase in pain over last time was expected, as she had to do more work in and around the joint to ensure this method was the last time.
 
And it certainly was.  It helped that once the stitches came out, I was in a cast for a month to ensure I didn't cheat and walk.  Although it was a pain not being able to shower, I believe it was worth it to ensure good healing this time around.
 
Now is the time to start recovering and walking with a goal to start a slow walk-run program in January.  Dr. C said that I would probably be doing the Swim Test for the Semi-annual Army Physical Fitness Test in April, with the goal to be back to full running by October of next year.
 
We will see.  At least I can wear both shoes now.

No comments: